Sunday 5 February 2012

My first try out of homemade Crumpets

This is a recipe pinched from my daughter. I was quite pleased how they turned out, I kept saying that I would cook them for John and finally I did and we had them for tea tonight.





Home Made Crumpets

8oz plain flour (sifted)
quarter teaspoon of salt
half a teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon fast action dried yeast
quarter pint warm milk
quarter pint warm water
vegetable oil
4 crumpet rings or plain pastry cutters well greased

Place the flour and salt into a large bowl and stir in sugar and yeast making a well in the centre.
Pour in the warm milk and water and mix to give quite a thick batter.  Beat well until completely combined and cover with a tea towel or cling film
Leave in a warm place to rise for about an hour until it's a light, spongy texture, stir well to knock out any air and pour into a large jug.

Heat a non-stick frying pan over a very low heat with a drop of oil.  Wipe the pan with kitchen paper to remove excess oil.  Sit the greased crumpet rings in the pan and leave to heat up for a couple of minutes.

Pour enough mixture to fill the rings just over halfway up the sides.  Leave to cook until plenty of small holes appear on the surface and the batter has just dried out.  This will take about 8 - 10 mins

Remove the rings and turn over the crumpets to cook for a further minute or two on the other side.
Put crumpets on a a wire rack to cool.

Toast as shop brought crumpets

8 comments:

  1. WOW nicely done they look better than mine! did you think they were tasty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they were, but had trouble getting them out of rings even though I greased them well..did you have the same problem?

      Delete
    2. Yeah I did. My rings are non stick and I greased them but I found the more I made the better it was

      Delete
    3. Oh good glad it wasn't just me. I will try them again and let you know how it goes

      Delete
  2. Well I certainly did!
    Lizzie kept saying they weren't like shop bought crumpets...good thing too! They were much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You are my chief tester and you are still standing, well just!!!!

      Delete
    2. They aren't like shop ones but as you say that's not a bad thing. (what have you always said about homemade being better then shop brought)

      Delete
    3. Yes you are right, I do preach about homemade being best I better practice what I preach !!!

      Delete